Sunday 13 May 2018

Red-backed Shrike!

When I finally crawled out of bed this morning I decided on a wander around the reserve starting at Springfield Bridge. It was quite depressing at how few Reed and Sedge Warblers were singing from the ditches and Reed beds, also how few Swallows, Martins and Swifts were seen, I'm still hoping there are more yet to arrive. On the bright side there seemed to be plenty of Lesser and Common Whitethroats also Cetti's Warblers. I watched a couple of Hobby's hawking insects over Dengemarsh hopefully more of them to come. Burrowes had a good selection waders on show Redshank, Sanderling, Dunlin, Curlew, Bar-tailed Godwits, Knot and Common Sandpiper.
 All round the reserve today there many wriggling masses of Lackey Moth caterpillars, so plenty of food for the Cuckoo's that were calling.
At Hookers the leucistic Rabbit that has been around for a couple of years was still present.
I was only half way round the reserve, when I received a call from Richard W saying he and Graham P had found a Red-backed Shrike by the Long Pits. I was a 20 minute walk away from my car which gave me time to call all the other locals all of which arrived before me. It was very elusive and while looking for it I saw my first Whinchat of the year.
 Red-backed Shrike at the Long Pits
  Red-backed Shrike at the Long Pits
I joined AJG who kindly collated the numbers in short sea watch this afternoon
13.20-14.20
Great-crested Grebe: 18 around
Gannet: 19E
Great Skua: 1E
Pomarine Skua: 2E at 1420
Kittiwake 13 up, 11 down
Sandwich Tern 77 up
Swallow 4 in
After the sea watch I went back to get more views of the Shrike being hassled by Common Whitethroats.
Chocholate-tip the highlight of last nights moth catch

No comments:

Post a Comment