Saturday 23 December 2017

Sparrowhawk!

I was watching several Goldfinches and Great Tits on my garden feeders as I drank my early morning coffee, when they all alarmed in a flurry of wings as a super male Sparrowhawk landed on the fence. For once my camera was right beside me, so I quickly got some half decent images through the patio window.
 Sparrowhawk on my garden fence this morning
At Cockles Bridge at least 6 Bewick Swans still present as i made my way to the beach. I'd barely settled in the hide when a call from DW alerted  us to the presence of the 1w Glaucous Gull. Stepping out of the sea watch hide myself AJG & PW were able to see the bird with other Gulls being thrown scraps by fisherman, though I am sure they were unaware they feeding a Glaucous Gull.
1w Glaucous Gull
                                                               1w Glaucous Gull
1w Glaucous Gull
2 x 2w Caspian Gulls
This afternoon 3 Caspian Gulls, 2 Yellow-legged Gulls and the Glaucous Gull came into Mick & Richards offerings. Offshore 100s each of Great-crested Grebe and Guillemot with a few Red-throated Divers and Kittiwakes on the sea, a party of c30 Wigeon flew west as did a Great Skua.
On the reserve the Long-eared Owl was still in situ and 10 Goosander were present per PB.
2w Caspian Gull
1w Caspian Gull

No comments:

Post a Comment