Thursday 20 July 2017

Moth Day

It seems all the MVs on the peninsular caught unusual moths last night. In mine a Double Kidney which was a first for my trap. I also caught another moth that despite looking through my books I was unable to identify in the time I had available, but living on the peninsular that is not a problem as there are plenty of Moth experts around. I took it to the observatory showing it to Lee Gregory who instantly identified it for me as a Pale Shoulder a very rare migrant. Barry Banson caught a Tamarisk Peacock another rare migrant, also 2 Speckled Footman 1 by Sean Clancy the other by Dorothy Beck, a Portland Moth was caught at St Mary's in the Marsh. Thanks are also due to Malcolm Freeman who caught a Ringed Border in Ticehurst only the second record for Sussex, allowing it to be displayed on the peninsular today before release.
 Pale Shoulder
 Double Kidney
Dioryctria sylvestrella

No comments:

Post a Comment