Thursday 23 March 2017

Swallows and Martins!

A howling cold easterly wind which veered North Easterly by 09.00 greeted me this morning at The Point.
07.15-08.15 from the relative comfort of my car:
Brent Goose: 14 up
Common Scoter: 28 up   2 down
Red-throated diver: 3 up
Fulmar: 2 down
Gannet: 44 up  7 down
Ringed Plover: 1 up
Little Gull: 1 up adult
Kittiwake: 12 up
Sandwich Tern: 27 up
Auk sp: 4 up
Wheatear: 1 on beach
Harbour Porpoise: 3+ 
The Ring-necked Duck was showing well and still cosying up to a female Tufted Duck on Cook's Pool this morning, a few Wigeon, 2 Little Egrets and a Curlew also there.
 Ring-necked Duck on Cook's Pool
 Look forward to some interesting Ducklings!
 First Swallow of the year
From Dennis's Hide I spotted my first Swallow of the year, followed quickly by a House Martin. In the comfort of the visitor centre I counted 6 Swallows and 4 House Martins. After I had done a circuit of the reserve 2 Sand Martins had joined them. No sign of Long-eared Owl this morning but I didn't try to hard as it was impossible to keep the scope still in the wind. A drake Smew landed in front of Makepiece, also 4 Goldeneye there of note. The rest of the walk round the reserve was uneventful, a couple of Chiffchaffs and Cetti's Warblers singing, I was also unable to find the Hooded Merganser.
Wheatear at West Beach
At West Beach this afternoon 2 Firecrests in the Gorse, also a smart male Wheatear there.
On the sea from the turning circle c6 each of Sandwich Tern and Gannet tooing and froing.

No comments:

Post a Comment