Tuesday 22 December 2015

Wash Out!

1w Caspian Gull feeding in the surf
Gale force winds, driving drizzle and sea spray made for Horrendous conditions at the fishing boats this morning, fortunately the boats offered me some shelter, cant think why I was on my own.
08.30-10.00 from the fishing boats:
Brent Goose: 1W      127E
Shelduck: 2W
Common Scoter: 1W
Great-crested Grebe: 9W
Fulmar: 14W
Gannet: 273W
Cormorant: c300 present
Turnstone: 5 on beach
Caspian Gull: 1 1w on beach
Kittiwake: 103W
Guillemot: 146W
Auk sp: 27W
1w Caspian Gull landing in front of me at the fishing boats
On the reserve conditions were no better, a Great White Egret could be seen from the entrance track near Boulderwall farm, from the visitor centre a 2w and an adult Caspian Gull could be seen on an island in front of Makepiece hide, by the time I got up to Makepiece they had both moved on, 2 red head Smew and several Goldeneye could be seen from Makepiece. The Long-eared Owl not surprisingly in the conditions could not be seen. With no let up in the winds and rain getting heavier I wimped out and went home, spending the afternoon with a bottle of wine and looking through newly found images of my 2011 Antarctic trip. 

3 comments:

  1. Nice post Martin.Did a couple of hours sea watching at Sandwich Bay this morning, in the shelter of the old Coast Guards hut. Saw quite a lot of Gannets and RT Divers.Quite good for the Bay. All the best for Christmas and the New Year. I`ll have to get to grips with Gull IDs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. have a great Christmas then start a new year list

    ReplyDelete