Monday 31 August 2015

Icterine Warbler!

On my way to the beach this morning I stopped on the causeway, seeing that the 2 juvenile White-winged Black Terns were still present, also 3 Black Terns and many Sand Martins and Swallows hawking over the lake.
The sea was very quiet this morning, I was thankful that after 20 minutes of watching it started raining giving me the excuse to leave and visit the observatory fridge to look at some bugs.
Back at the ARC from Hanson of note c100 Golden Plover, 7 Ruff, 7 Black-tailed Godwits, a Dunlin, Common Sandpiper, the Marsh Terns and a Bittern that dropped into the reeds near the hide.
A call from MH telling me of an Icterine Warbler found by SB by the visitor centre on the reserve.
I arrived just as the heavens opened, the bird had disappeared and was forced to shelter in the VC then in Firth hide. From the hide a Great White Egret showed well, also 2 Ruff and 2 Redshank in front the hide, on the distant islands several Common Sandpipers, 2 Avocets and Spotted Redshank.
When the rain stopped 2 Hobby's spooked the hirundines on Burrowes and a Swift flew through, but still no sign of the Icterine Warbler. 
I went back to the reserve after it closed and was quiet, I met CT and SO there and we manged to locate the Icterine Warbler at c18.45 in the Sallows at the back of the dipping pool where it showed on and off till c19.00 and presumably roosted there. 
 Image does not do the bird justice, but it shows the pale wing panel of an Icterine Warbler.
 Great White Egret from Firth
Ruff from Firth

No comments:

Post a Comment