Sunday 22 June 2014

Tawny Owl!

This weekend birding has been very quiet at Dungeness, fortunately for me sorting through and photographing the moths in the Plodland trap has kept me busy. (Many thanks to David Walker for his help). At The Patch a couple of Mediterranean Gulls have been seen despite much disturbance from fisherman. A Garganey was still in residence at the south end of the ARC this morning. Late afternoon at Dengemarsh a couple of Bearded Tits by Springfield Bridge, a brief flyby Bittern and 2 Hobby's.
This evening I had go to Woodchurch but on the way back on the Appledore to Brenzett road  I spotted a silhouette of an Owl perched on a road sign, I slowed down and drew alongside, much to my surprise it just sat there staring at me for a magical c10 seconds, even more surprising it wasn't the expected Barn Owl but a Tawny Owl the first I have seen on the marsh.
A few of the more colourful Moths.
Barred Red apparently quite a good moth for Dungeness
Burnished Brass
Peppered Moth
Privet Hawk moth

No comments:

Post a Comment