Saturday 7 December 2013

A good afternoon on the local patch!

At the south end of the ARC this morning the now resident flock of c300 Gadwall and a Black-necked Grebe with another on New Diggings of note. At The Point I met MS and RS where I spent an hour picking there brains on the finer points of photography as there were no Gulls around. 
This afternoon from the screen hide 2 Great White Egrets, 4 Little Egrets, a Bittern, 2 Marsh Harriers, a Chiffchaff also Water Rails and Cetti's Warblers calling, along with the common wildfowl. Next stop Dennis's hide where a Goosander could be seen but no Smew, while going through the gulls I noticed a Gull bathing at the other end of Burrowes that I was sure was a Caspian Gull. I quickly went to the visitor centre where I saw SB who was also looking at the same gull. We made our way to Makepiece for a better view, on arrival we quickly relocated the Gull and confirmed its ID. The Gull  flew a short distance allowing some poor record shots to be taken at extreme range, after settling for a few minutes it flew off towards the power station. Another Great White Egret could be seen from Makepiece. Back at the visitor centre as dusk fell 5 Marsh Harriers were over the Open Pits and at 15.55 the Glossy Ibis flew in to roost. I am so lucky to have Dungeness as my local patch.
                      Sorry Mick and Richard as you can see I forgot all you told me!


No comments:

Post a Comment