Friday 7 June 2013

Hobby's

A pleasant walk around The Willow trail first thing this morning. Plenty of Reed Warblers and Reed Buntings singing also a Cetti's Warbler, a Blackcap, a Chiffchaff and 20+ Swifts hawking overhead. From Hanson Hide a dozen each of Pochard  and Tufted Duck but little else. By the time I had driven down to Dengemarsh Gully the wind had increased considerably. All I could find were a few Linnets and a Peregrine by the Converter Station.
1 of up to 7 Hobby's over Springfield bridge today
After lunch I cycled down to Springfield Bridge where I spent an hour watching up to 7 Hobby's taking Damsels and Dragons. Because of the weight of my normal camera  while cycling I only had my small 300mm DO lense with me, which does not do justice the Hobby's. Also there 2 Cuckoo's, 2 Marsh Harriers and the Bittern booming. From Dengemarsh Hide more of the same with the added attraction of 20+ pairs of Common Terns on the rafts and the pair of Common Gulls still in residence. A pleasant if windy half hour on the mound with more of the same. At Burrowes Pit the water levels are definitely dropping and with a bit of luck come the Autumn there will be enough exposed areas to attract waders,

No comments:

Post a Comment