Monday 21 May 2012

Iceland Gull

A short visit to Scotney in a cold northerly wind this morning found a summer plumaged Bar-tailed Godwit, a Marsh Harrier hunting near the windmills, 3 Wigeon and  little else of note.
I had just arrived at the north end of the Long Pits when I received a text from OL to say DW was watching an adult Iceland gull at The Patch.
A few minutes later I was watching the gull roosting on the beach and later feeding in The Boil. Also there 400-500 Common terns and 2 Mediterranean Gulls. Later I went back to The Patch with MH and the Gull was still there, also a first summer Little Gull.




 On the beach near the Iceland Gull a Herring Gull with with identical black smudges on both sides of its face and round its throat. Presumably feeding stains.

From The Patch I went to the reserve which was decidedly wind swept. I spent a very pleasant hour at the viewpoint watching up to 8 Hobby's hawking over the reed beds. These were joined by numerous screaming Swifts, 3 Marsh Harriers, a Sparrowhawk, several Common Terns, 2 Bearded Tits, a Cuckoo and singing Reed, Sedge and Cetti's Warblers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment