Saturday 22 October 2011

Phalaropes, A Pipit and A Penduline

From the fishing boats this morning with MB who was already on site when I arrived, the totals whilst I was there were, Gannets and Kittiwakes and Auks in there 100s off shore and passing, also 8 Bonxies, 3 Arctic Skuas, 2 Grey Phalaropes, 4 Red-throated Divers, 1 Little Gull, 2 Sandwich Terns, 2 Comic Terns, 9 Common Scoter, 12 Swallows, 3 Sand Martins, several hundred finches mainly Goldfinches. As DW arrived after being told of the Phalaropes I heard him shout Richards Pipit and saw it fly out to sea. At c12.30 the lure of the of the Penduline Tit showing well from Hanson hide and the Lesser-spotted Woodpecker being seen again by the Willow Trail was to much. After c30 minute wait I spotted the Penduline Tit on the Mace at the edge of the reed bed where it performed very well the every one in the hide. Unfortunately I can't say the same for the Lesser Pecker. Going back to the fishing boats this afternoon 7 more Bonxies, 2 Arctic Skuas, 1 Grey Phalarope, 1 Balearic Shearwater, 2+ Comic Terns and still large numbers Gannets, Kittiwakes and Auks passing. As I left the 2w Glaucous  Gull was roosting on the the track  allowing me to drive up beside it. 


A very poor record of one of 3 Grey Phalaropes I saw today



No comments:

Post a Comment